One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small beetle whose larva (the woolly bear) is destructive to carpets, fabrics, and other materials.
Genus Anthrenus, family Dermestidae
- ‘Buzz showcases nearly seventy of Steger's favorite models, many of them bugs one might find around the house, from carpet beetles to fruit flies.’
- ‘He admitted to not having hoovered his carpet for 5 months (and they found carpet beetles in it, ugh!’
- ‘Clothes moths and carpet beetles often destroy woolen clothing, furs, rugs and furniture.’
- ‘The carpet beetles, the feathered beetles, things even strangely called cigarette beetles, I guess they must have gobbled up people's cigarettes while they were sitting in their pocket.’
- ‘A number of insects that live within birds' nests can find their way indoors - such as carpet beetles, house moths, spider beetles and the martin bug.’
- ‘In addition, ants, carpet beetles, flies and cockroaches may find their way to the comb to feed and reproduce.’
- ‘Several types of beetles (cigarette beetles and carpet beetles and relatives) also will feed on spices.’
- ‘But most of my observations of plants and animals (not counting carpet beetles, silverfish, and cockroaches) take place in public parks and gardens.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.