One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large solitary black bee with purplish wings, which nests in tunnels bored in dead wood or plant stems.
Genus Xylocopa, family Apidae: several species
- ‘Pollinators of trees in the Brazil nut family include the female carpenter bee, above, shown as she is about to enter the flower of a sapucaia tree.’
- ‘Accompanying the astronauts on-board are an ant colony from Syracuse, NY, spiders from Melbourne, Australia, carpenter bees from Liechtenstein, Medaka fish from Japan, and silkworms from China.’
- ‘The bed was ablaze with the yellow flowers, and here, large humming squadrons of shiny black carpenter bees would thrum from pre-dawn onwards.’
- ‘Solitary species such as cicada killers, carpenter bees, digger wasps and mud daubers use their stingers to subdue the insects and spiders upon which they prey.’
- ‘There's the caulking and wood treatment that has to be done up near the roof in front; the upper front windows to be cleaned; the carpenter bee hole to be plugged.’
- ‘The most detailed studies of facultative sociality in bees have focused on the large carpenter bee Xylocopa pubescens.’
- ‘This insect is the maggot of the eggs laid by sawflies or carpenter bees in the freshly-cut cane of the rose after pruning.’
- ‘A wide assortment of animals - spiders, ants, silkworms, mealworms, carpenter bees, fish embryos and rats - was also on Columbia, mostly for student experiments.’
- ‘The female carpenter bee bores straight in - in this case upward - then makes a number of lateral bores 90 degrees perpendicular to the main bore, to lay her eggs in.’
- ‘Masonry or mortar bees are referred to as solitary bees, a class that also includes mining and carpenter bees.’
- ‘Insects such as carpenter ants, carpenter bees, and termites may become a problem in foam-core panels.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.