Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large ant which burrows into wood to make a nest.
- ‘How passionate is his hatred for carpenter ants?’
- ‘In order to trace genetic changes they then compared the B. pennsylvanicus genome to the sequence from a related carpenter ant, B. floridanus.’
- ‘Even so, the boat looked to be in good shape until I opened one of the watertight compartments and was greeted by an army of carpenter ants.’
- ‘There are no mice, no carpenter ants, no termites.’
- ‘Pileated Woodpeckers eat wood-boring insects and insects that nest in trees, including long-horned beetles and especially carpenter ants.’
- ‘As spring arrives at my house this year, here come the carpenter ants, demanding a date with my favorite chemists.’
- ‘We shall use these badly needed funds for the dentist, and for such luxuries as killing the carpenter ant infestation, and for paying off the tax guy.’
- ‘In cases where the wood will not be exposed to the soil or water, borates, a form of naturally occurring salt, will help prevent decay from fungi and wood-boring insects such as carpenter ants and termites.’
- ‘I scanned through the cooking shows, documentaries about carpenter ants, and reruns.’
- ‘Sunday evening I trudged up to the pool house with her to check the settings and to point out the carpenter ants busily running in and out of a hole as big as my head in the wall.’
- ‘A few more of these and you'll have no more problems with carpenter ants in this house!’
- ‘Moving closer, I saw the ‘insect’ was really two large carpenter ants.’
- ‘They will kill all your fire ants and carpenter ants and termites.’
- ‘He also wanted to clarify the allowances for using pesticides to save homes from such pests such as carpenter ants and termites.’
- ‘The woodpecker digs deep into the trees in search of carpenter ants to eat.’
- ‘Borates are the most effective treatment for many crawling insects including, roaches, silverfish, larder beetles, carpenter ants, and other woodborers, as well as wood decay organisms.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.