One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A painful condition of the hand and fingers caused by compression of a major nerve where it passes over the carpal bones through a passage at the front of the wrist. It may be caused by continual repetitive movements or by fluid retention.
- ‘An injury or repetitive wrist movement usually causes carpal tunnel syndrome, characterized by weakness and pain in the hand and wrist due to pressure on the median nerve.’
- ‘The company also claims that eye strain is replacing carpal tunnel syndrome as the major complaint of office workers.’
- ‘For four years, ever since his wife had to stop working because of a degenerative bone disease and carpal tunnel syndrome, the family has lived on a tight budget.’
- ‘The cause of Adams' pain was carpal tunnel syndrome, a condition that can cause pain and numbness in the wrists, hands and arms.’
- ‘Finally, the usefulness of the clinical neurological examination is being systematically analysed in specific conditions, such as migraine and carpal tunnel syndrome.’
- ‘Overuse of the hands can lead to three main complications: aggravation of existing arthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome and tendinitis.’
- ‘The breathing and relaxation methods used in yoga might help you if you have asthma, carpal tunnel syndrome, osteoarthritis or memory problems.’
- ‘We are also establishing clinical pathways for common hand conditions, such as carpal tunnel syndrome, to help remove the backlog of patients waiting to be seen in the orthopaedic clinics.’
- ‘And then there are the health worries of carpal tunnel syndrome, repetitive strain injury and back problems.’
- ‘Alterations in fluid balance may predispose some pregnant women to develop carpal tunnel syndrome.’
- ‘This can decrease operator fatigue, which can lead to carpal tunnel syndrome and other repetitive-stress injuries.’
- ‘Tests for tendinitis and carpal tunnel syndrome were negative.’
- ‘Patients with carpal tunnel syndrome should avoid repetitive wrist and hand motions that may exacerbate symptoms or make symptom relief difficult to achieve.’
- ‘This patient had no previous history of carpal tunnel syndrome or evidence of inflammatory arthritis.’
- ‘If the patient is pregnant or obese, reassure her that carpal tunnel syndrome will probably improve on losing weight.’
- ‘No matter which input device you use, take special care in keeping your wrists from bending upward to help avoid carpal tunnel syndrome and other wrist maladies.’
- ‘Compression of the median nerve at the wrist often results in carpal tunnel syndrome, which is a common condition, particularly in women.’
- ‘Conditions that benefit from acupuncture include neck pain, menstrual cramps, migraines, carpal tunnel syndrome and kidney stones.’
- ‘Employees who perform most of their work on a computer completed a questionnaire on the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome.’
- ‘Too much typing is often blamed for carpal tunnel syndrome, the painful wrist problem caused by a compressed nerve.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.