Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
sexual intercourse, sex, lovemaking, making love, sex act, act of love, sexual relations, intimate relations, intimacy, coupling, mating, going to bed with someone, sleeping with someoneView synonyms
- ‘The applicant was charged with a number of other counts involving allegations of carnal knowledge and assault during an earlier period, and he was convicted of some of those counts.’
- ‘Cases of unlawful carnal knowledge were also down 6%.’
- ‘Before revision of the state laws in 1813, rape was defined as ‘unlawful and carnal knowledge of a woman, by force, and against her will.’’
- ‘In an innovative shift, Hurston replaces the legendary tree of knowledge, the apple tree, with an arguably more fitting symbol of the acquisition of carnal knowledge and sexual experience, the pear tree.’
- ‘We need to reinforce the laws governing underage sex, carnal knowledge and the age of consent.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.