One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(at sporting events) a cry intended to urge on a team or player; come on!‘carn you mighty Lions!’
- ‘Carn the Wallabies!’
- ‘Almost forty years later, Congupna players and supporters continue to yell out, "Carn the Road", or "Carn the Roaders", which has a nice ring to it.’
- ‘Carn the mighty (Pordadelaide) Magpies!’
- ‘Footy is back, carn the mighty magpies!’
- ‘Carn Porto!’
- ‘Given the Queenslanders are our closest neighbours - Carn the Lions!’
- ‘Carn the Cats!’
- ‘And for the rest of the finals, carn the Saints.’
1960s: contraction of the phrase come on!.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.