Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A company which manufactures cars.
- ‘To help drivers see better, some carmakers are offering new options like bumper sensors.’
- ‘After years of leading us on, carmakers roll out the first generation of off-road-ready hybrids’
- ‘J.C. Herz, the digital-culture writer, once told me a couple of years ago about a consulting visit she did to a major carmaker.’
- ‘As they did earlier with small cars and luxury sedans, foreign carmakers have jumped to a quick lead with more car-like SUVs.’
- ‘Its automotive consultancy advised Nanjing Automotive, the Chinese carmaker, on its recent purchase of the assets of MG Rover.’
- ‘The carmaker is pulling ads from certain publications.’
- ‘Computer modeling simulations of technical systems will also be key, and most carmakers are already working to perfect them.’
- ‘Volkswagen, Ford Motor and Toyota Motor are among the other foreign carmakers that have also applied to lend money to China's car buyers.’
- ‘Chinese carmakers such as Chery Automobile Co. are also casting an eye to the region.’
- ‘So new front windshields are treated to absorb harmful rays, though carmakers don't usually coat side and rear windows.’
- ‘U.S. carmakers got into a price war five years ago to overcome the sagging sales.’
- ‘Analysts say Proton's best hope for survival is a partnership with a foreign carmaker.’
- ‘The fourth mainland carmaker planning to sell shares, Guangzhou Automobile aims to become one of the three big car manufacturers on the mainland.’
- ‘However, there is still room for carmakers to reduce prices as domestically produced cars still cost more than those imported from overseas.’
- ‘Foreign carmakers will make and sell whichever models they wish and set up nationwide dealerships and service networks.’
- ‘Some carmakers also have been bumping base prices in increments so minor, most prospective customers don't notice.’
- ‘At the recent Auto Shanghai 2003, Nanjing Fiat grabbed three awards, the most among carmakers participating in the show.’
- ‘Two of the biggest carmakers are putting their rivalries aside and teaming up.’
- ‘The carmaker says gas electric hybrid engines will be available in half of the Ford, Lincoln and Mercury lineup.’
- ‘Those are powerful advantages, considering how savagely mass-market carmakers are discounting.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.