Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Failure to give sufficient attention to avoiding harm or errors; negligence.‘most road accidents are caused by carelessness on the part of motorists’
inattention, inattentiveness, heedlessness, thoughtlessness, negligence, improvidence, remissnessforgetfulness, absent-mindednessirresponsibility, impetuosity, recklessness, rashnesslaxity, laxness, slacknessclumsiness, ineptitudeoversight, omission, derelictionsloppinessView synonyms
- ‘It would be a shame if I let my own carelessness ruin other people's efforts to do good by recycling.’
- ‘I think it's important for your readers to understand the type of carelessness here.’
- ‘Only a passing comment, but such carelessness has probably wrecked my son's future as a prize-winning novelist.’
- ‘The defenders were slow to get back on the goal line and the Monaghan team captain took advantage of Mayo carelessness.’
- ‘Once again, his disgruntled followers chastised him for his carelessness.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.