One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A recognized pattern of advancement within a job or profession.
- ‘As a working mother, I have to leave my son every day, but I now know that I have a good career structure in the civil service and decent pay.’
- ‘Why should we be surprised if the career structure for MP's is similar?’
- ‘New classifications incorporating a genuine career structure will need to be funded to avoid costs being passed onto parents.’
- ‘We can't provide a whole career structure like that in the London airports, so we can look for someone who is not so ambitious.’
- ‘Growth, and its offshoot consumption, also dictates that our career structure is dominated by salary increases and an obsession with advancement up the greasy pole.’
- ‘The national remodelling agreement held out the promise of decent pay, professional recognition and a career structure for teaching assistants.’
- ‘The career structure for clinical academics is being improved.’
- ‘In this way a career structure is open to those who work in the bureaucracy.’
- ‘That is also a career structure within the public sector that will attract the right sort of people.’
- ‘There is nothing that beats the stimulation science provides for the mind, but you need a career structure too, and that is what wears you down.’
- ‘There is already a career structure in place but one of the things we will look at is how that and industry practices need to be changed to attract new people.’
- ‘Prizes are the closest thing that novelists have to a career structure.’
- ‘The Newcastle research also found that many women felt they had been ‘weeded out’ of the career structure before they had reached their potential.’
- ‘Is it not time to devise a new career structure for hospital doctors that will allow varying degrees of specialisation, responsibility, and hours of working?’
- ‘The lack of a career structure is also a major reason for planners to defect to the growing number of private planning consultancies.’
- ‘The proposals are designed to modernise pay and the career structure for 1.2m National Health Service workers.’
- ‘I want to break down some of the barriers and show teenagers there is a career structure here and a lot of possibilities in the business.’
- ‘Many potential recruits are deterred by the lack of an attractive career structure, enormous workloads and a lack of financial recognition for the demanding work they do, she said.’
- ‘However, recent changes to the career structure and other factors have led to what I believe is a crisis.’
- ‘All of the usual conference debates will also be heard over the coming days, including the inadequacy of the current career structure of the teaching profession.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.