Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A record of muscle activity within the heart made by a cardiograph.
- ‘Turns out they'll do a cardiogram and, if warranted, an angiogram.’
- ‘But even Luis has seen some relief with the arrival of telemedicine, a technology that will enable him to seek medical advice overseas and perform tests such as cardiograms, live on the Internet.’
- ‘Each subject's eligibility was determined through a comprehensive evaluation that included complete physical, neurological, and psychiatric examinations; laboratory chemistry tests; and cardiogram.’
- ‘‘This is my own cardiogram, the rhythm of my pulse: its explosions, shocks, climaxes, peaks, and valleys,’ he said in an interview for a Russian souvenir program.’
- ‘It's like telling your doctor why do I need a cardiogram, just tell me how to get rid of this cough.’
- ‘They took my temperature constantly, measured pulse and blood pressure and worried over a cardiogram showing a slightly irregular heartbeat.’
- ‘He agreed and I was given a trans-oesophageal cardiogram.’
- ‘I would like an explanation on why a meticulous man who removes his glasses would leave cardiogram suckers on his chest.’
- ‘Along with Stone, we are permitted to see him, bare-chested in a medical clinic, undergoing a cardiogram.’
- ‘Without blood tests and cardiograms he would not say for sure, but he put his money on angina.’
- ‘The most common primary indications for emergency caesarean were presumed fetal compromise, intrauterine growth retardation or an abnormal cardiogram, and failure to progress.’
- ‘Instead of the firmly stated latency value from the white-paper, we were facing something unbelievable, looking more like a cardiogram of a heart patient.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.