One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A knitted jumper fastening down the front.
- ‘Woolen sweaters, cardigans, mittens, and socks were knitted with elaborate patterns.’
- ‘From argyle cardigans to tweed blazers, check out the look of fall 2004 and enjoy all the attention.’
- ‘So, when we head to Whitby for our holiday, I will take the usual array of beach wear - baggy tops, ankle-length skirts and outsize cardigans.’
- ‘But in reality, knitwear is so much more than that - it includes a wide array of pullovers, turtlenecks and cardigans, among other items.’
- ‘Avoid wearing blazers and cardigans with more than three buttons because they will draw unwanted attention to your shorter upper body.’
- ‘Dull, padded beige jackets and shapeless viscose dresses will go, in favour of the sheepskin gilets and long woollen cardigans sported by the rest of the high street.’
- ‘I am planning to knit a little flower to stitch onto the front of the cardigan to liven it up a little.’
- ‘All jumpers, cardigans and socks were knitted by hand.’
- ‘Admittingly, it is a bit too dressy for work, but like in the photo, wear a cardigan or blazer on top to look smart.’
- ‘People, I've got a cupboard full of casual leisurewear, tan slacks and knitted cardigans in ready reserve, prepared for such an eventuality as this one.’
- ‘A vision of twin-set cardigans and walking canes spring to mind.’
- ‘I love it when I can put on a cardigan or a light pullover and not be overheated.’
- ‘For the rest of us, cardigans and pullovers should do unless a blazer or suit is demanded by the occasion.’
- ‘This season, chunky pullovers and zip or wrap cardigans with classic snowflake or reindeer motifs are sure to warm the hearts of even the burliest men.’
- ‘For the trendy man about town this season, cable-knit pullovers or cardigans in neutral shades such as greys and browns or navy blue are suggested.’
- ‘Check out 9 sweaters, from turtlenecks to cardigans, that'll make the ladies want to cozy up next to you this winter.’
- ‘Check out the irresistible floral and tweed sequined skirts, tweed platform sandals and brooch-clasped cardigans.’
- ‘When I fell into the preppy look in high school, my grandmother donned penny loafers and cardigans, too.’
- ‘The usual fare: sweaters, cardigans, tanks… but it is still a fun book that any knitter will enjoy.’
- ‘She's conjured up enchanting white raincoats, and using antique looms has reworked old cashmere cardigans.’
Mid 19th century (Crimean War): named after James Thomas Brudenel, 7th Earl of Cardigan (1797–1868), leader of the Charge of the Light Brigade, whose troops first wore such garments.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.