Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A knitted jumper fastening down the front.→ cardy
- ‘A vision of twin-set cardigans and walking canes spring to mind.’
- ‘For the trendy man about town this season, cable-knit pullovers or cardigans in neutral shades such as greys and browns or navy blue are suggested.’
- ‘Woolen sweaters, cardigans, mittens, and socks were knitted with elaborate patterns.’
- ‘I am planning to knit a little flower to stitch onto the front of the cardigan to liven it up a little.’
- ‘The usual fare: sweaters, cardigans, tanks… but it is still a fun book that any knitter will enjoy.’
- ‘I love it when I can put on a cardigan or a light pullover and not be overheated.’
- ‘So, when we head to Whitby for our holiday, I will take the usual array of beach wear - baggy tops, ankle-length skirts and outsize cardigans.’
- ‘From argyle cardigans to tweed blazers, check out the look of fall 2004 and enjoy all the attention.’
- ‘Admittingly, it is a bit too dressy for work, but like in the photo, wear a cardigan or blazer on top to look smart.’
- ‘All jumpers, cardigans and socks were knitted by hand.’
- ‘Check out 9 sweaters, from turtlenecks to cardigans, that'll make the ladies want to cozy up next to you this winter.’
- ‘Avoid wearing blazers and cardigans with more than three buttons because they will draw unwanted attention to your shorter upper body.’
- ‘She's conjured up enchanting white raincoats, and using antique looms has reworked old cashmere cardigans.’
- ‘For the rest of us, cardigans and pullovers should do unless a blazer or suit is demanded by the occasion.’
- ‘People, I've got a cupboard full of casual leisurewear, tan slacks and knitted cardigans in ready reserve, prepared for such an eventuality as this one.’
- ‘Dull, padded beige jackets and shapeless viscose dresses will go, in favour of the sheepskin gilets and long woollen cardigans sported by the rest of the high street.’
- ‘Check out the irresistible floral and tweed sequined skirts, tweed platform sandals and brooch-clasped cardigans.’
- ‘This season, chunky pullovers and zip or wrap cardigans with classic snowflake or reindeer motifs are sure to warm the hearts of even the burliest men.’
- ‘But in reality, knitwear is so much more than that - it includes a wide array of pullovers, turtlenecks and cardigans, among other items.’
- ‘When I fell into the preppy look in high school, my grandmother donned penny loafers and cardigans, too.’
Mid 19th century (Crimean War): named after James Thomas Brudenel, 7th Earl of Cardigan (1797–1868), leader of the Charge of the Light Brigade, whose troops first wore such garments.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.