Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A cardigan:‘a pink cashmere cardie’
- ‘The nights are drawing in, but you may not be ready for big cardies and bowls of plum crumble just yet.’
- ‘Thrift stores also have great old jewelry that can be sewn or glued on to cardies or shoes for an amazing, unique look.’
- ‘Wear with a mannish shirt tucked in or a fitted cardi or knit.’
- ‘He was wearing his beige cardy.’
- ‘If it's not a heatwave outside, a cardy and/or fleece, and maybe a brolly, are probably a good idea for the homeward journey.’
- ‘This season's dress or pretty skirt and cardi will travel well from day wear to night-time.’
- ‘My children will be wearing slippers and cardies and getting old before me.’
- ‘I am making one of the larger sizes, because I wanted to wear a top under the cardi comfortably.’
- ‘The homely cardie, unfortunately, is a necessary evil in our depressingly cold and damp northern climate.’
- ‘It works for pottering around in barefoot at home or layered up with thermals, tights and a cardie for winter workdays.’
- ‘Because it was radio, he could presumably turn up for work in an old cardie.’
- ‘If it is a sunny day, we may have to put on a cardie.’
- ‘Are you man enough for a cardie?’
- ‘Had he not always been swathed in white robes, you could have imagined him in a cardie, pottering round his vegetable patch with his little grandson.’
- ‘On a cold day, I often long to offer them my cardie to stop them from turning blue.’
- ‘I sighed and said I would just have to bring an old cardy in.’
- ‘I saw this little cardi, and thought it would be so great for her!’
- ‘I was wearing a cardy earlier.’
- ‘Don't wear them with a long cardie like you did with skinny jeans.’
- ‘My big find was this great cardi.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.