One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A game in which playing cards are used.
- ‘All card players should take note that there will be a card game as usual in the O'Brien hall on Christmas nights.’
- ‘The next card game will take place tonight Tuesday in the Brown Memorial Hall, Foxford.’
- ‘Bridge players will tell you that it is the best card game ever invented.’
- ‘The card game Don, which is played in various forms in Ireland and Britain, is a descendant of the old game of All Fours.’
- ‘Have you ever watched someone play a card game when s/he doesn't understand the rules?’
- ‘The monthly card game takes place on the first Monday night of each month.’
- ‘He had spent most of the night playing a boisterous card game and running around filming people with his video camera.’
- ‘Thanks to all who supported the card game in aid of Ballycroy Social Services last Friday night.’
- ‘These guys are too drained even to cope with the interaction of a friendly card game together.’
- ‘Wang later wins some money in a card game with some small time gangsters, but they mug him and take back their money.’
- ‘His attention was torn away from the card game as he heard raised voices from across the room.’
- ‘Cribbage is a card game that lends itself to a solitaire of strategy, perhaps better than any other.’
- ‘The card game in Shanagolden Hall each Friday night attracts a good number of players from the parish.’
- ‘It is a collection of variations of the traditional card game Spades.’
- ‘They had been playing the card game for about forty minutes when the speakers crackled into life and a funny voice was heard.’
- ‘Asked for a reason for the killings, Ma reportedly told police that they accused him of being a cheat in a card game.’
- ‘For ten or fifteen minutes I was happy and awake, enjoying a good card game with my friend.’
- ‘Another card game will take place next Sunday evening in Glenhest Community Hall and all are welcome.’
- ‘She had been drinking all night during the card game she was hosting in their apartment.’
- ‘Thanks to all those who sponsored prizes and those who both raffle tickets but could not attend the card game.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.