Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A game in which playing cards are used.
- ‘All card players should take note that there will be a card game as usual in the O'Brien hall on Christmas nights.’
- ‘The card game Don, which is played in various forms in Ireland and Britain, is a descendant of the old game of All Fours.’
- ‘They had been playing the card game for about forty minutes when the speakers crackled into life and a funny voice was heard.’
- ‘Bridge players will tell you that it is the best card game ever invented.’
- ‘Wang later wins some money in a card game with some small time gangsters, but they mug him and take back their money.’
- ‘These guys are too drained even to cope with the interaction of a friendly card game together.’
- ‘The next card game will take place tonight Tuesday in the Brown Memorial Hall, Foxford.’
- ‘Thanks to all who supported the card game in aid of Ballycroy Social Services last Friday night.’
- ‘The monthly card game takes place on the first Monday night of each month.’
- ‘She had been drinking all night during the card game she was hosting in their apartment.’
- ‘It is a collection of variations of the traditional card game Spades.’
- ‘For ten or fifteen minutes I was happy and awake, enjoying a good card game with my friend.’
- ‘His attention was torn away from the card game as he heard raised voices from across the room.’
- ‘Thanks to all those who sponsored prizes and those who both raffle tickets but could not attend the card game.’
- ‘He had spent most of the night playing a boisterous card game and running around filming people with his video camera.’
- ‘Another card game will take place next Sunday evening in Glenhest Community Hall and all are welcome.’
- ‘Cribbage is a card game that lends itself to a solitaire of strategy, perhaps better than any other.’
- ‘The card game in Shanagolden Hall each Friday night attracts a good number of players from the parish.’
- ‘Asked for a reason for the killings, Ma reportedly told police that they accused him of being a cheat in a card game.’
- ‘Have you ever watched someone play a card game when s/he doesn't understand the rules?’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.