Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The widespread dissemination of carcinoma in the body.
- ‘She retired only when carcinomatosis was diagnosed.’
- ‘When this gradient is less than 1.1, etiologies other than portal hypertension should be considered, most commonly peritoneal carcinomatosis or abdominal tuberculosis.’
- ‘However, malignant tumors such as poorly differentiated carcinoma, small cell carcinoma, large cell carcinoma, and atypical carcinoid may have potential to grow, leading to pleural carcinomatosis.’
- ‘This suggests that pleural carcinomatosis represents a final common pathway in metastatic disease, and may not, in and of itself, be indicative of a poor prognosis.’
- ‘She faced increasing disability from carcinomatosis in her last year with courage and determination, underpinned by her deep Christian faith.’
- ‘Salient autopsy findings included metastatic adenocarcinoma of peripancreatic lymph nodes and diffuse leptomeningeal carcinomatosis.’
- ‘Acute myelopathy in patients with cancer may also be caused by irradiation, paraneoplastic necrotizing myelitis, ruptured intervertebral disc and meningeal carcinomatosis with spinal cord involvement.’
- ‘Diseases that involve the axial compartment alone include lymphangitic carcinomatosis, sarcoidosis, and lymphoma.’
- ‘Metastatic lesions can present as solitary or multiple intracranial masses, as meningeal carcinomatosis, or with spinal cord involvement.’
- ‘This is one of a handful of reported cases of a clinically undiagnosed gallbladder carcinoma presenting as leptomeningeal carcinomatosis.’
- ‘The remaining 5 percent of patients have chronic cough caused by bronchiogenic carcinoma, carcinomatosis, sarcoidosis, left ventricular failure or aspiration.’
- ‘Only a few of the patients from this surgical or autopsy series displayed coexistent subdural hematomas or meningiomas, and only 2 had coincident leptomeningeal carcinomatosis.’
- ‘In women with peritoneal carcinomatosis or malignant ascites, treatment for ovarian cancer is instituted if the CA 125 level is elevated.’
- ‘Another two patients succumbed before chemotherapy could be initiated; they had severe COPD and carcinomatosis.’
- ‘Ten cases demonstrated durai metastases, and 3 cases showed focal leptomeningeal involvement. cases of diffuse leptomeningeal carcinomatosis were excluded.’
- ‘After evacuation of all pleural fluid, a previously described score was used to grade the extent of pleural carcinomatosis score.’
- ‘In ascites due to tuberculous peritonitis and peritoneal carcinomatosis, lymphocytes predominate.’
- ‘Intraperitoneal carcinomatosis is cancer that has spread throughout the peritoneal cavity.’
- ‘The intraoperative appearance suggested peritoneal carcinomatosis, and the patient underwent a total abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy, and omentectomy.’
- ‘Leptomeningeal carcinomatosis, the most frequent form of brain metastasis in prostate cancer, has a grim prognosis.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.