One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cancer arising in the epithelial tissue of the skin or of the lining of the internal organs.
- ‘Unlike carcinomas, metastatic sarcomas generally occur deeper and may not ulcerate the mucosa.’
- ‘It is also found in thyroid carcinomas and small cell carcinomas of nonpulmonary origin.’
- ‘Adrenal cortical carcinomas and adenomas can have a variety of histologic features.’
- ‘Metastatic carcinomas are not included, which I think could have added another dimension to this handbook.’
- ‘Hodgkin's lymphoma and most metastatic carcinomas typically progress through nodes in anatomic sequence.’
- ‘What took me a long time actually to remember is that bronchial adenomas share the same parentage with oat-cell carcinomas.’
- ‘These cancers include basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma and melanoma.’
- ‘Distinguishing sarcomatoid mesothelioma from sarcomatoid carcinomas and other sarcomas may be difficult.’
- ‘Five cases represented metastases from cutaneous squamous carcinomas.’
- ‘Basal cell carcinomas usually arise from sun-exposed areas of the body.’
- ‘Squamous cell carcinoma is a skin cancer also related to sunlight exposure.’
- ‘The commonest malignancies are basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, and melanoma.’
- ‘The rarer types of bladder cancer include squamous cell carcinomas and adenocarcinomas, which have a different cell structure.’
- ‘Hepatocellular carcinoma has become one of the most common malignant tumors worldwide.’
- ‘The majority of carcinomas of the stomach are adenocarcinomas, which arise from mucin producing cells.’
- ‘Diagnoses were confirmed for 51 invasive colorectal carcinomas and 12 adenomas.’
- ‘Advanced stage non-small cell carcinomas and small cell carcinomas are treated by systemic chemotherapy.’
- ‘None of the 3 metastatic carcinomas to the liver expressed either of these adhesion proteins.’
- ‘Another common skin cancer is squamous cell carcinomas, representing 15 percent of all new cases.’
- ‘Keratin expression is typical of epithelial differentiation in carcinomas and some sarcomas.’
Early 18th century: via Latin from Greek karkinōma, from karkinos ‘crab’ (compare with cancer).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.