Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A cancer arising in the epithelial tissue of the skin or of the lining of the internal organs.
- ‘Adrenal cortical carcinomas and adenomas can have a variety of histologic features.’
- ‘Distinguishing sarcomatoid mesothelioma from sarcomatoid carcinomas and other sarcomas may be difficult.’
- ‘Diagnoses were confirmed for 51 invasive colorectal carcinomas and 12 adenomas.’
- ‘Unlike carcinomas, metastatic sarcomas generally occur deeper and may not ulcerate the mucosa.’
- ‘Hodgkin's lymphoma and most metastatic carcinomas typically progress through nodes in anatomic sequence.’
- ‘These cancers include basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma and melanoma.’
- ‘The commonest malignancies are basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, and melanoma.’
- ‘It is also found in thyroid carcinomas and small cell carcinomas of nonpulmonary origin.’
- ‘What took me a long time actually to remember is that bronchial adenomas share the same parentage with oat-cell carcinomas.’
- ‘Hepatocellular carcinoma has become one of the most common malignant tumors worldwide.’
- ‘The majority of carcinomas of the stomach are adenocarcinomas, which arise from mucin producing cells.’
- ‘Another common skin cancer is squamous cell carcinomas, representing 15 percent of all new cases.’
- ‘None of the 3 metastatic carcinomas to the liver expressed either of these adhesion proteins.’
- ‘Keratin expression is typical of epithelial differentiation in carcinomas and some sarcomas.’
- ‘Five cases represented metastases from cutaneous squamous carcinomas.’
- ‘Advanced stage non-small cell carcinomas and small cell carcinomas are treated by systemic chemotherapy.’
- ‘Metastatic carcinomas are not included, which I think could have added another dimension to this handbook.’
- ‘The rarer types of bladder cancer include squamous cell carcinomas and adenocarcinomas, which have a different cell structure.’
- ‘Basal cell carcinomas usually arise from sun-exposed areas of the body.’
- ‘Squamous cell carcinoma is a skin cancer also related to sunlight exposure.’
Early 18th century: via Latin from Greek karkinōma, from karkinos crab (compare with cancer).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.