Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having the potential to cause cancer.
- ‘The risk of a carcinogenic effect of a substance can be assessed by 1 of several mathematical models.’
- ‘For example, it was claimed that the study presented uniquely reliable evidence that simvastatin is not carcinogenic.’
- ‘They've got a carcinogenic potential and the potential to suppress the immune system.’
- ‘It has been shown to be teratogenic and carcinogenic in rodents.’
- ‘Among them, ionizing radiation and genotoxic chemicals with carcinogenic potential play an important role.’
- ‘One family of mycotoxins, the aflatoxins, are carcinogenic and immunotoxic and cause growth retardation in animals.’
- ‘Vitamin C is an antioxidant, and it also inhibits the formation of carcinogenic nitrosamines from dietary amines and nitrites.’
- ‘It is the carcinogenic compounds in the tar which are the serious hazard to health, and some, but not all, of these compounds are removed by the filters.’
- ‘The World Health Organization has concluded that cannabis, when smoked, is twice as carcinogenic as tobacco.’
- ‘Some of them are carcinogenic, and some of them also cause neurological and reproductive health problems.’
- ‘This highlights the carcinogenic potential of AA in human beings.’
- ‘Airline pilots are occupationally exposed to cosmic radiation and other potentially carcinogenic elements.’
- ‘He's spent a fair bit of his career describing how carcinogenic the sun is.’
- ‘Many studies strongly support the premise that oxidative stress plays an important role in this carcinogenic process.’
- ‘There aren't a lot of good in vitro methods to predict carcinogenic potential.’
- ‘In this study by IARC, other known carcinogenic substances in solid wood were not identified.’
- ‘Each carcinogenic mixture acts as a unique entity to produce its own specific cancer cluster.’
- ‘At least 60 of the chemicals in a puff of smoke are carcinogenic, meaning they may cause cancer.’
- ‘Apart from their well known carcinogenic action on the liver, they also impair growth and the development of the immune system in children.’
- ‘The authors say that cotinine is a poor biomarker of carcinogenic risk.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.