Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The process of mixing air with a fine spray of liquid hydrocarbon fuel, as in an internal combustion engine.
- ‘The invention concerns a method for supplying fuel for a dual-fuel carburation injection internal combustion engine capable of being selectively supplied, in a carburation mode, with a first fuel or, in another carburation mode with a second fuel.’
- ‘The standard FJ carburation is designed for performance throughout the entire rev range.’
- ‘The leaner the carburation, the higher the temperature and vice-versa.’
- ‘It is an object of the invention to provide an improved carburation device in which the aforementioned disadvantages are overcome, at least to a substantial extent.’
- ‘When trying to improve your Mini's breathing efficiency, carburation and inlet manifolds are open to as much speculation as other ` performance enhancing’ components.’
- ‘In some cases, carburation which has been properly set up in particular conditions can then be upset by certain factors.’
- ‘Then he calls in the shop foreman who examines it in more detail, calling in the mechanic or the electrician and carburation expert, each to carry out the requisite work in his particular specialty.’
- ‘To correctly adjust the air/fuel ration of the carburation an air-fuel analyzer should be used.’
- ‘Whether the slow pick-up from a standing start is down to this, or gearing or carburation problems, it's just not right.’
- ‘It's the first time I've used this type and so matching the programming to the carburation is going to keep us busy.’
Late 19th century: from archaic carburet ‘combine or charge with a hydrocarbon’+ -ation.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.