Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An enzyme which catalyses the addition of a carboxyl group to a specified substrate.
- ‘Chlorophyll contents, as well as concentrations of the carboxylation enzymes Rubisco and phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase, are lower in aquatic compared with terrestrial leaves of amphibious plants.’
- ‘Phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase catalyses the carboxylation of PEP to form oxaloacetate.’
- ‘A reduction of oxaloacetate does seem likely because both phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase and total malate dehydrogenases were activated under the same stress conditions as those that activated PPDK.’
- ‘Within skeletal muscle and heart activation of AMPK leads to the phosphorylation and inhibition of acetyl-CoA carboxylase.’
- ‘Phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase, which catalyses the carboxylation of phosphoenolpyruvate using HCO 3-to generate oxaloacetic acid, is an important enzyme in the primary metabolism of plants.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.