One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
as modifier Of or denoting the acid radical —COOH, present in most organic acids.‘the carboxyl group’
- ‘Natural proteins are made up of alpha-amino acids, which have a carboxyl group and an amino group separated by one carbon atom.’
- ‘The ‘head’ of the molecule contains a phosphate group, glycerol, and the carboxyl groups from two long-chain fatty acids.’
- ‘This is caused by a dehydration reaction between the hydroxyl group from the glycerol and the carboxyl groups of the fatty acids.’
- ‘The carboxyl group of lysergic acid has been reduced to a methyl group.’
- ‘It is a weak organic acid that contains a carboxyl group.’
Mid 19th century: from carbo- + ox- ‘oxygen’ + -yl.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.