Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An organic cation in which the positive charge is located on a carbon atom.
- ‘Geometry optimisation using density function theory at the pBP / DN - level shows the carbonium ion to be trigonal bipyramidal.’
- ‘The key step in a unimolecular reaction is the formation of the carbon cation, or carbonium ion, by the departure of the leaving group.’
- ‘If a carbonium ion is involved in lysozyme catalysis then the TS structure will involve a planar, sp-hybridized C - 1.’
- ‘The presence of a water molecule will provide the opportunity for the carbonium ion, and the left side of the ring, to become stable.’
- ‘This paper reviews the concept of carbonium ions, their formation, stability and reactions.’
Early 20th century: carbonium from carbo- ‘carbon’, on the pattern of ammonium.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.