One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An organic cation in which the positive charge is located on a carbon atom.
- ‘If a carbonium ion is involved in lysozyme catalysis then the TS structure will involve a planar, sp-hybridized C - 1.’
- ‘The key step in a unimolecular reaction is the formation of the carbon cation, or carbonium ion, by the departure of the leaving group.’
- ‘The presence of a water molecule will provide the opportunity for the carbonium ion, and the left side of the ring, to become stable.’
- ‘This paper reviews the concept of carbonium ions, their formation, stability and reactions.’
- ‘Geometry optimisation using density function theory at the pBP / DN - level shows the carbonium ion to be trigonal bipyramidal.’
Early 20th century: carbonium from carbo- ‘carbon’, on the pattern of ammonium.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.