Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] An enzyme that catalyses the interconversion of dissolved bicarbonates and carbon dioxide.
- ‘Without the enzyme carbonic anhydrase the dehydration and hydration of carbon dioxide is a rather slow reaction.’
- ‘Two intracellular enzymes that may support active ion transport across crustacean gills are carbonic anhydrase and arginine kinase.’
- ‘Cellular carbonic anhydrase then catalyzes the reverse of reaction 17, leading to release of CO 2 from erythrocytes.’
- ‘This component was eliminated when carbonic anhydrase activity was inhibited or deleted by genetic manipulation.’
- ‘Limited evidence has been presented that elevated CO2 inhibits the transcription of genes coding for carbonic anhydrase and Rubisco activase.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.