One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A lava or other igneous rock composed chiefly of carbonates rather than silicates.‘unusual magmas such as carbonatites’mass noun ‘carbonatite is rich in calcium carbonate’
- ‘Subordinate volumes of carbonatite and lamprophyre magmas are also present.’
- ‘Next in abundance, although rare in comparison to silicate rocks, are carbonate-based magmas and lavas known as carbonatites, which have little (less than 15 per cent by weight) or no silica content.’
- ‘Indeed, pegmatites from gabbros to granites to carbonatites to anorthosites are known.’
- ‘The rock turned out to be an apatite-bearing carbonatite.’
- ‘It consists of gabbroic, ultramafic and alkaline rocks, mafic dyke swarms and carbonatites.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.