Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A lava or other igneous rock composed chiefly of carbonates rather than silicates.‘unusual magmas such as carbonatites’[mass noun] ‘carbonatite is rich in calcium carbonate’
- ‘Next in abundance, although rare in comparison to silicate rocks, are carbonate-based magmas and lavas known as carbonatites, which have little (less than 15 per cent by weight) or no silica content.’
- ‘Subordinate volumes of carbonatite and lamprophyre magmas are also present.’
- ‘It consists of gabbroic, ultramafic and alkaline rocks, mafic dyke swarms and carbonatites.’
- ‘The rock turned out to be an apatite-bearing carbonatite.’
- ‘Indeed, pegmatites from gabbros to granites to carbonatites to anorthosites are known.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.