One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dark opaque diamond, used in abrasives and cutting tools.Also called black diamond
- ‘Heaney and Vicenzi both work with rare diamonds known as carbonados, which are found only in Brazil and central Africa.’
- ‘Black or gray-black, massive, granular to compact bort is known as carbonado.’
- ‘Large Brazilian carbonados include the Carbonado Casco de Barro, Carbonado do Sergio, and Carbonado Xique-Xique.’
- ‘Masses of carbonado up to 3,100 carats are reported from deposits near Lencois, Brazil.’
- ‘The team has used this technique to characterize carbonados from the Central African Republic.’
Mid 19th century: from Portuguese.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.