Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(chiefly of rocks or sediments) consisting of or containing carbon or its compounds.
- ‘This facies commonly occurs associated with carbonaceous shale and laminated sandstone.’
- ‘The association of the cherts with carbonaceous sandstones and lacustrine shales in the Rhynie Cherts Unit indicates sinter deposition interrupted alluvial floodplain sedimentation of mud and sand.’
- ‘Other fossil seed, leaf, beetle, ostracod, snail and fish remains come from a carbonaceous siltstone that represents a local waterlogged habitat.’
- ‘Sediments at Rick Forester are light gray carbonaceous sandy clays.’
- ‘Based on meteorite studies, astronomers recognize that NEAs have diverse compositions, including silicate, carbonaceous and hydrocarbon-bearing, metallic, and ice-bearing materials.’
- ‘These microfossils, found in bedded carbonaceous cherts, are estimated to be between 3.3 billion to 3.5 billion years old.’
- ‘The apparent increase of carbonaceous macrofossils through the Proterozoic Eon is likely a result of combined biological and environmental evolution.’
- ‘It was intruded into a succession of thinly bedded sandstones and carbonaceous silt and mudstones.’
- ‘The distinguishing feature of the lowermost sequence is the presence of coal or carbonaceous shale within alluvial and lacustrine strata.’
- ‘Silicified carbonaceous schist and graphitic quartzite occur as lenses or layers with extremely variable thickness and are mostly confined to the immediate vicinity of ultramafic rock units.’
- ‘This structure is very similar to kerogens found in carbonaceous meteorites.’
- ‘Cross-bedding, channel-fill structures, red colouration, carbonaceous material, desiccation cracks and raindrop pits indicate that these rocks were deposited in a terrestrial environment.’
- ‘The Anna Shale was then slowly deposited under restricted marine conditions; it is highly carbonaceous and contains vascular plant fragments.’
- ‘Australian coals and associated carbonaceous sediments may thus well be oil source rocks in the Gippsland basin area and elsewhere in Australia.’
- ‘Some beds contain carbonaceous fragments, and the remains of large roots are found underlying thick coal beds.’
- ‘An exception may be its type locality in Colombia, where it occurs in veinlets and pockets in carbonaceous sedimentary units apparently distant from igneous rocks.’
- ‘It is overlain by the lower shale member, which consists of interbedded carbonaceous shale and lignite that accumulated in coastal marsh and swamps landward of the shoreline.’
- ‘In Proterozoic carbonaceous fossils, ultrastructural and biochemical characters are unavailable, and anatomical and reproductive structures are uncommon.’
- ‘An additional sulphide-facies type was described as consisting of pyritic carbonaceous shale.’
- ‘Similarly, there exists the potential for finding ancient samples from Mars or even Venus, as well as unweathered carbonaceous chondrites.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.