One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A colourless toxic volatile liquid used as a solvent, especially for fats and oils.
Chemical formula: CCl₄
- ‘Examples of known predictable liver toxins are the cleaning solvent carbon tetrachloride and the pain killer acetaminophen.’
- ‘Specific petrochemicals implicated in one study included benzene, toluene, styrene, hexane, carbon tetrachloride, chloroform, methanol, and vinyl chloride.’
- ‘Volatile organic compounds, such as benzene, carbon tetrachloride, and styrene, are released at room temperature from materials commonly used in construction and furnishings.’
- ‘Do not clean with window cleaning fluids or strong solvents such as gasoline, denatured alcohol, carbon tetrachloride, or acetone.’
- ‘Greenpeace found that perc breaks down into the toxic byproducts phosgene, vinyl chloride, carbon tetrachloride and trichloroacetic acid.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.