Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A forest, ocean, or other natural environment viewed in terms of its ability to absorb carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.
- ‘Besides that, firewood adds carbon dioxide to the atmosphere, while furniture or other products will act as a carbon sink for years and years.’
- ‘As trees take root, they would begin absorbing carbon dioxide, turning the region back into a carbon sink.’
- ‘The forest will provide some much-needed lung space to Bangaloreans and act as a carbon sink by absorbing vehicular and other emissions.’
- ‘Quite apart from trees being a carbon sink and saving us from environmental disaster, we often overlook the meaning it can give to our lives.’
- ‘Iberia's oak forests are a vital carbon sink for the whole of Europe.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.