One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A forest, ocean, or other natural environment viewed in terms of its ability to absorb carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.
- ‘Besides that, firewood adds carbon dioxide to the atmosphere, while furniture or other products will act as a carbon sink for years and years.’
- ‘The forest will provide some much-needed lung space to Bangaloreans and act as a carbon sink by absorbing vehicular and other emissions.’
- ‘As trees take root, they would begin absorbing carbon dioxide, turning the region back into a carbon sink.’
- ‘Iberia's oak forests are a vital carbon sink for the whole of Europe.’
- ‘Quite apart from trees being a carbon sink and saving us from environmental disaster, we often overlook the meaning it can give to our lives.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.