One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The action or process of compensating for carbon dioxide emissions arising from industrial or other human activity, by participating in schemes designed to make equivalent reductions of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
- ‘I was trying to get to grips with the European carbon permit scheme, carbon offsetting and trading the other day.’
- ‘Rob Bell balances the myths and realities of carbon offsetting.’
- ‘Is carbon offsetting an adequate mechanism to confront climate change?’
- ‘It says it is the first to incorporate carbon offsetting into the ticket-buying process.’
- ‘The escalating climate change crisis and the need to reduce carbon dioxide emissions have led to an explosion in schemes offering ` carbon offsetting '.’
- ‘British Airways already offers carbon offsetting on its website.’
- ‘An information booth will raise awareness on the subject of carbon offsetting among participants; they will have the possibility to learn about the amount of emissions they caused.’
- ‘Carbon offsetting was first made fashionable by the climate change company charity Future Forests, which started at the Glastonbury music festival five years ago.’
- ‘Carbon offsetting supposedly allows people to compensate for the carbon emissions of activities like lights, electricity, car mileage.’
- ‘However, neither carbon offsetting nor individual lifestyle changes will halt climate change.’
- ‘I foresee a sweaty dystopia in which you will have to engage in carbon offsetting every time you make a trip to Waitrose.’
- ‘What do you think: are we being conned by carbon offsetting or is it a responsible way to reverse the effect our lifestyle has on the planet?’
- ‘Carbon offsetting may make us feel better about flying, but anyone who thinks it will save the planet - as the prime minister does - is dreaming.’
- ‘Carbon offsetting allows people to compensate for the greenhouse gas emissions by purchasing credits from pollution-reduction projects.’
- ‘A spokesman for Friends of the Earth said: "Carbon offsetting is being promoted as an excuse to carry on flying."’
- ‘There are a number of organisations now offering carbon offsetting for companies and individuals, which simply neutralise your carbon footprint.’
- ‘Environment groups claim carbon offsetting through tree-planting has become a fashionable way of showing concern for global warming but has little or no long-term effect.’
- ‘Is carbon offsetting a responsible way to reverse the effect our lifestyle has on the planet - or just a sop to our consciences?’
- ‘The founders swear there will be no talk about carbon offsetting or other long-term ideas but practical advice on how to improve an organisation's impact right now.’
- ‘But in our third world, the marjority of the population wouldn't be prepared to pay for carbon offsetting.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.