One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A colourless, odourless toxic flammable gas formed by incomplete combustion of carbon.
- ‘Burning of the blends also reduced carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxide emissions.’
- ‘Here, breathe some carbon monoxide, it will make you feel all funny inside and you will throw up!’
- ‘Automotive emissions are a major source of ozone and carbon monoxide pollution.’
- ‘When you are no longer exposed every day to nicotine, carbon monoxide, tar and other poisons, your body begins to repair the damage.’
- ‘The cells worked well initially, but any traces of carbon monoxide in the hydrogen fuel quickly poisoned the catalyst.’
- ‘It's only trees that sequester carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide from the polluted air.’
- ‘Obvious examples are water, methane, carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, and sulphur dioxide.’
- ‘Earlier nicotine, carbon monoxide and tar were considered most harmful.’
- ‘Other trace gases include methane, nitrous oxide, carbon monoxide, sulphur dioxide, and ozone.’
- ‘The researchers said it was not certain carbon monoxide and ozone were directly causing the defects.’
- ‘Methylene chloride is converted into carbon monoxide when we breathe it in.’
- ‘Initial reports suggested he had died from carbon monoxide poisoning.’
- ‘No filtration is proposed for the emissions that would include carbon monoxide, sulphur dioxide and lead.’
- ‘Tar, nicotine and carbon monoxide are the major components of cigarettes.’
- ‘The company claims they burn brighter than sawdust logs and produce less carbon monoxide.’
- ‘The official cause of death was given as poisoning by carbon monoxide, said to have come from a gas heater of Iranian origin.’
- ‘Food waste is turned into hydrogen, methane and carbon monoxide by the heat of the exhaust.’
- ‘This produces one molecule of biliverdin and one molecule of carbon monoxide.’
- ‘The tests measure the amount of carbon monoxide you breathe out.’
- ‘When you misuse gas appliances in this way, they can produce fatal amounts of carbon monoxide.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.