One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A permit which allows a country or organization to produce a certain amount of carbon emissions and which can be traded if the full allowance is not used.
- ‘This year's budget will apparently include a further allocation of carbon credits to spur new projects.’
- ‘Under pressure from lobbyists, the EU was over-generous in its allocation of carbon credits.’
- ‘Those wishing to use more energy would be forced to buy low-carbon technology or purchase carbon credits.’
- ‘Business has responded very positively to a tender for projects to reduce emissions, which can be rewarded with carbon credits.’
- ‘He said this would reduce the need for the Government to buy this amount of carbon credits in the future.’
- ‘The value of a carbon credit plummeted.’
- ‘President Barak Obama has strongly advocated an auction system for carbon credits.’
- ‘In Europe we are the largest trader of carbon credits, having traded over one billion to date.’
- ‘The company hopes to turn a profit by selling carbon credits.’
- ‘Those emissions will have to be covered by the purchase of carbon credits on the international market.’
- ‘Now people talk of using carbon credits to protect similar areas around the world.’
- ‘It will not continue to need carbon credits.’
- ‘It could be as carbon credits traded on private or public markets or both.’
- ‘Air travel taken by event staff and musicians will be offset through carbon credits.’
- ‘In fact, some private markets have already started offering carbon credits for sale by owners of such land.’
- ‘Companies who go over the limit have to purchase carbon credits elsewhere.’
- ‘The trading of carbon credits could make forests an important component of the international carbon market in the future.’
- ‘Carbon credits in this country have got wind power going.’
- ‘Farmers will benefit if prices in a mandatory carbon market rise and you're allowed to sell carbon credits.’
- ‘The Minister said in his reply to me that my supplementary question was about carbon credits.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.