Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for carbonium ion
- ‘All carbocations are strong alkylating agents with a high affinity for groups which donate or share their electrons, such as halide ions, hydroxyl anions and amines.’
- ‘The resulting esters generate carbocations that react with DNA.’
- ‘The methyl carbocation, CH 3 + is the least stable carbocation.’
- ‘Some examples of positively charged electrophiles are the hydronium ion, nitronium ions, metal ions, and carbocations.’
- ‘Therefore, all such red-shifted pigments are believed to be highly delocalized, bond-equalized carbocations.’
1950s: from carbo- + cation.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.