One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic insecticide used to protect crops and in the treatment of fleas and lice.
- ‘If rotation isn't working, you might need to try an insecticide containing carbaryl or permethrin.’
- ‘Insecticides - most commonly carbaryl, diazinon, and malathion - were detected more frequently in urban streams than in agricultural streams.’
- ‘The two traditional insecticides used for grasshopper control in rangeland are malathion and carbaryl.’
- ‘Carbamate pesticides (e.g. carbaryl, aminocarb, and carbofuran) generally have a high acute toxicity to arthropods but only a moderate environmental persistence.’
- ‘In pastures, farmers can use carbaryl, malathion and diflubenzuron (Dimilin).’
Mid 20th century: from carbamate + -yl.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.