Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- short for carburettor
Dietary carbohydrates.‘all of our products are naturally low in carbs’[as modifier] ‘consumers are really watching their carb intake’
- ‘I made the most of every calorie I consumed; everything was nutritious and full of fiber, protein and carbs.’
- ‘It has 30 percent fewer carbs and higher protein than russet potatoes (the biggest selling variety in the United States).’
- ‘Most Americans eat less than one serving a day of whole-grain products, which are loaded with fiber, carbs, vitamins and minerals.’
- ‘They were given either a placebo beverage, a carbohydrate solution or a carb / protein solution before and during the workouts.’
- ‘Yet, eating refined carbs with protein and fat buffers this insulin response.’
- ‘The bars are low in fat, with a moderate amount of protein and carbs and make a handy meal replacement, or can be eaten before sustained and intense mental activity.’
- ‘What you're looking for is a ready-to-drink protein shake that's high in figure-friendly protein, low in carbs, and low in fat.’
- ‘In our experience, no balancing of fats, carbs, and proteins will overcome the simple mathematics of overeating and not exercising.’
- ‘When we eat carbs, the glucose released into our bloodstream raises our blood-sugar, and sometimes gives us a blood-sugar rush.’
- ‘We are going to see if I can ‘health up’ by going macrobiotic - which is really sort of freaking me out because I have been ms. low carb/no carb for about a year.’
- ‘I want to model my cooking after the Lake Austin spa cuisine, including the right balance of carbs, protein and fat - not to mention portion size!’
- ‘To keep blood sugar levels stable, include some protein, carbs and fats in each meal, and remember to have snacks.’
- ‘There is little metabolic advantage to manipulating the ratio of protein to carbs.’
- ‘No magic numbers, fancy formulas or special percentages of carbs, fats and proteins are necessary to reap the benefits of a smart lower-carb diet.’
- ‘The combination of protein, carbs and fat provides satiety so you stay full longer.’
- ‘Cutting back on carbs can cut down cholesterol levels too.’
- ‘You're probably already aware that if you're looking to support your fat-loss goals, following a diet that's high in protein and low in carbs is a great approach.’
- ‘It offers a blend of healthy protein and energizing carbs, along with 19 essential vitamins and minerals.’
- ‘The only diet experts recommend is the sensible one: you know, protein, healthy carbs, low in fat, sugar and alcohol, high in fruit, veg and essential oils.’
- ‘Edamame, or soybeans, contain a balance of carbs, protein, and good fat, so your body burns them slowly and you avoid an afternoon slump.’
1980s: short for carbohydrate.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.