One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A golden-yellow juicy fruit with a star-shaped cross section.Also called star fruit
- ‘The carambola, or five-finger fruit, has a mild but sweet taste, and a thinnish skin.’
- ‘Star fruit - or carambola as it's also known - is just the ticket.’
- ‘One common reason for the malformation of fruits, such as asymmetric carambola or pears, is incomplete pollination.’
- ‘Multicoloured, multilayered cakes and mousses abound, along with carambola, mango and cream pastry and pistachio and cappuccino squares.’
- ‘Jamaican cooks have rediscovered their native tangy fruits, including ackee (the reddish-yellow fruit of an evergreen tree), carambola, and ortanique (a cross between an orange and a tangerine).’
- ‘Why did New Zealand accept a variation to the Australian New Zealand Food Standard code that will allow irradiated mango, papaya, mangosteen, litchi, breadfruit, carambola, custard apple and rambutan to be imported into New Zealand?’
- ‘‘Asam’ refers to the sourness of the fruit, which is related to the sweeter carambola.’
- ‘But flavor isn't the best feature, as carambolas are rich in vitamin C, potassium and fiber.’
- ‘There are the kiwi fruit, watery rose apple, carambola, passion fruit, eggfruit, figs, strawberry guava, lovi lovi, mangostein, pomegranate.’
- ‘September introduces kids to mangos and carambola.’
- ‘My lobster consommé was not the usual salted brown water, but a subtly tasting hot lake surrounding an island of crispy shrimp, carambola and tomato salad.’
2The small tropical tree which bears carambolas.
- ‘Carambola, a small tree or shrub, is thought to be native to Java or other parts of Indonesia, and perhaps also Sri Lanka.’
- ‘If you are growing custard apples, bananas, sapodillas and carambolas, they could all do with a dressing of citrus and fruit tree fertiliser spread evenly around under the leaf canopy.’
- ‘Carambolas can be severely damaged by flooding.’
Late 16th century: from Portuguese, probably from Marathi karambal.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.