Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A golden-yellow juicy fruit with a star-shaped cross section.Also called star fruit
- ‘The carambola, or five-finger fruit, has a mild but sweet taste, and a thinnish skin.’
- ‘There are the kiwi fruit, watery rose apple, carambola, passion fruit, eggfruit, figs, strawberry guava, lovi lovi, mangostein, pomegranate.’
- ‘Why did New Zealand accept a variation to the Australian New Zealand Food Standard code that will allow irradiated mango, papaya, mangosteen, litchi, breadfruit, carambola, custard apple and rambutan to be imported into New Zealand?’
- ‘But flavor isn't the best feature, as carambolas are rich in vitamin C, potassium and fiber.’
- ‘My lobster consommé was not the usual salted brown water, but a subtly tasting hot lake surrounding an island of crispy shrimp, carambola and tomato salad.’
- ‘‘Asam’ refers to the sourness of the fruit, which is related to the sweeter carambola.’
- ‘Jamaican cooks have rediscovered their native tangy fruits, including ackee (the reddish-yellow fruit of an evergreen tree), carambola, and ortanique (a cross between an orange and a tangerine).’
- ‘September introduces kids to mangos and carambola.’
- ‘Star fruit - or carambola as it's also known - is just the ticket.’
- ‘Multicoloured, multilayered cakes and mousses abound, along with carambola, mango and cream pastry and pistachio and cappuccino squares.’
- ‘One common reason for the malformation of fruits, such as asymmetric carambola or pears, is incomplete pollination.’
2The small tropical tree which bears carambolas.
- ‘Carambolas can be severely damaged by flooding.’
- ‘Carambola, a small tree or shrub, is thought to be native to Java or other parts of Indonesia, and perhaps also Sri Lanka.’
- ‘If you are growing custard apples, bananas, sapodillas and carambolas, they could all do with a dressing of citrus and fruit tree fertiliser spread evenly around under the leaf canopy.’
Late 16th century: from Portuguese, probably from Marathi karambal.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.