One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A short, square-cut style of coat designed to be worn when driving a car.
- ‘They've barely got their car coats off before being rushed by a heavily perfumed mass in floral frocks who are not above violence if it means getting to grips with a man during a mambo.’
- ‘From a cool car coat to a stylish sports jacket, check out more jackets for fall 2004.’
- ‘I also thought her heavy black car coat with rib sweater collar and cuffs was quite lovely - practical yet infused with a hint of fun and whimsy at the same time.’
- ‘Inspiration comes from a range of eras, from the 1930s to the 1960s, the latter exemplified by a car coat.’
- ‘Fair enough, but will John be swapping his trademark car coat for this sartorial essential of the new age?’
- ‘The styles range from biker and bomber jackets to car coats, the latter being more appropriate for workdays as they are mid-thigh length overcoats.’
- ‘He shivered and drew up the mossy collar of his black car coat.’
- ‘It is just tiny celebrities in their denim and All Stars, leather car coats and backstage passes.’
- ‘A car coat describes a coat that could comfortably be worn when driving - that would be about fingertip length and not very fitted in design.’
- ‘The collection features tight mini dresses, velvet suits, camel car coats and flared trousers along with fetishistic accessories - dog collars, footless tights worn with spiky heels, and fake fur scarves worn as chokers.’
- ‘The teeth-chattering classes of Britain were made of sterner stuff, coming prepared with car coats, rugs, flasks, even sleeping bags, and were handed screen wipes to wipe off the window steam.’
- ‘Big Arthur grimaced as he battled across Market Square, drawing his suede car coat closer about his generous midriff.’
- ‘Just at that moment a middle-aged man in a colourful padded car coat and grubby trainers appeared on the other side of the road and momentarily eyed us suspiciously.’
- ‘Turtlenecks, jean jackets and car coats with fun fur collars - in various colours and made from recycled materials - are about $35.’
- ‘To keep out the cold, in imitable British style, three-quarter-length car coats are back in tweed, cashmere and wool, featuring velvet collars.’
- ‘I was wearing a loose car coat, and I turned away from the driver and pulled the coat to cover her head from his view.’
- ‘During the past few years, leather car coats (approximately ¾ length) have been a popular trend, but this year, biker-style jackets have sped onto the fashion scene.’
- ‘With car coats, three quarter length jackets and vintage leather, this is the ultimate accessory for any trendsetter.’
- ‘He reminds us, in our suede car coats and capris and Ikea houses, that without love, everything's just a cliché.’
- ‘A cashmere/silk blend mock neck sweater and suede car coat are also offered at surprisingly affordable price points.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.