One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A look.‘we decided to take a Captain Cook at the next hotel’
- ‘John Howard wanted Australia to take a Captain Cook at its history curriculum.’
- ‘I want you all to take a Captain Cook as we drive across the south of the continent.’
- ‘I finally dragged myself away from the delights of Moonee Valley racecourse and Bondi Beach to take a “Captain Cook” at the Aussie stockmarket.’
- ‘Take a Captain Cook at this.’
- ‘There is a station and town that I missed, so have a Captain Cook at it.’
1920s: from Cook, Captain James, the English explorer who first charted Australia and New Zealand.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.