One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A lathe with a revolving tool holder that enables several tools to be permanently mounted on it.
- ‘We have also developed Second operation capstan lathes and our research & development works is always on the move for developing new machines.’
- ‘Engineering machine operators use automatic and semi-automatic machine tools including capstan lathes, borers, presses; and drilling, grinding and milling machines to produce engineering parts.’
- ‘They had a treadle lathe for turning small bells, and a capstan lathe for machining large bells.’
- ‘Items produced included capstan lathes, tool and cutter grinders, and screw-cutting lathes.’
- ‘The machine is equipped with a working tool 5, which is mounted on a spindle 12 of an ordinary capstan lathe.’
- ‘After attending a rehabilitation centre, Mr Tomlin was trained to become a capstan lathe operator and found employment in 1955 at an Oldham engineering firm.’
- ‘Can anyone tell me what kind of collets are used in a capstan lathe or a traub cam auto?’
- ‘Maybe it is worth taking those capstan lathes and template cutters out of mothballs, just in case.’
- ‘A local furniture maker requested batches of 500 or so parts against a target price that set RPE on the path to progress by using automated capstan lathes.’
- ‘He had an early introduction to Socialism via his own mother, the only woman shop steward at the engineering factory where she worked on a capstan lathe.’
- ‘The No.7 geared capstan lathe offered all of the features of the smaller machines, but with additional features aimed at reducing operator fatigue, such as fully powered saddles and air chuck on the machine shown in the illustration.’
- ‘Lathe shop has 21 centre lathes, 4 capstan lathes, one power hacksaw machine, tool grinders and a hydro copying attachment.’
- ‘Multi-spindle automatic lathes provide the means of producing turned components in larger quantities than can usually be economically produced on capstan lathes.’
- ‘His first blind staff member left the company after 12 years when automatic lathes replaced the capstan lathes.’
- ‘At a guess I think that there were about eight to ten apprentices at any one time in this area, all operating capstan lathes, and all destined for the ‘brake job’ on completion of their stint working in the machine shop.’
- ‘The capstan lathe is fundamentally similar to the turret lathe.’
- ‘The tools are divided into groups, the central section comprising the capstan lathe department.’
- ‘Machinery was mostly for hand turning, capstan lathes not coming in until the 1920's.’
- ‘The capstan lathes are ideal for manufacture of simple and complex turned parts, both from bar and blanks.’
- ‘The capstan lathe was used to produce shaped metal items.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.