Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A broad revolving cylinder with a vertical axis used for winding a rope or cable, powered by a motor or pushed round by levers.
- ‘Helping were a number of Adsteam tugs and a team of ADI dockworkers who, with stout ropes and capstans finally secured the giant ship.’
- ‘At the stern, a single capstan and chain hold the kedge anchor in place against the rear of the hull.’
- ‘Another model portrayed a more elaborate method of careening a ship using an enormous floating dock with a set of capstans to pull a hull onto one side.’
- ‘In one design, two or more horses walked in a circle on deck, turning a capstan amidships that was geared to a paddle wheel set between a pair of catamaran-like hulls.’
- ‘Near the seabed, an interesting feature is a large power capstan.’
- ‘A variation is for a pair of capstans (vertically mounted winches), again more common on warships.’
- ‘For simpler tasks of pulling cars through a loading/unloading area a cable and capstan were used.’
- ‘Swimming over and down the foredeck we could see winches, anchor chains and capstans fitted to an intact deck, as if on the day the Justicia was lost.’
- ‘After the top of the barrel has been shaped, the coopers wrap cables around the base of the barrel and use a capstan to cinch up the base.’
- ‘Behind the forward capstan, the wreck becomes an unidentifiable mess but it can be seen that the superstructure had rounded windows rather than portholes.’
- ‘The stern deck itself has a big capstan in the centre, with pairs of small bollards on either side.’
- ‘You will note mooring bollards and a single capstan with a large winch further behind, and are likely to come across an enormous edible crab which has been there for quite a while.’
- ‘The space round the anchor capstans is interesting; it looks as if it was designed for a gang of sailors to work the capstan by hand if the powered mechanism should fail.’
- ‘These features are as just as diagnostic as slipways, docks, capstans, roperies, smithies or other such structural evidence.’
- ‘He makes it fast to the cable - he reeves the jeer-fall through it - the jeer-fall is brought to the capstan, with the standing part belayed to the bitts.’
- ‘The pirates instantly began winching the cable in with a capstan.’
- ‘Heading back from the bow past three pairs of bollards, the area of deck that would have held the anchor capstans has been cut open to leave a wide hole down into the forecastle.’
- ‘To minimise ice formation on the superstructure, all winches, capstans, etc. are placed under deck.’
- ‘Towards either side of the deck is another pair of capstans.’
- ‘Immediately beyond the bow, the foredeck capstans and deck winches could be seen.’
- 1.1The motor-driven spindle on a tape recorder that makes the tape travel past the head at constant speed.
- ‘But as the tape winds on over the capstans, fragments are lost or dulled, and the music becomes a ghost of itself, tiny gasps of full-bodied chords groaning to life amid pits of near-silence.’
- ‘Any rolling part can do it, but the major flutter-maker in your tape recorder is likely to be the capstan.’
- ‘For every 30 inches of tape that zips by the heads in one second, the ATR capstan rotates just four times!’
- ‘After two years in the field, drives without a sealed mechanism experience dust buildup around the media entrance and in critical areas such as the capstan.’
- ‘Helical Scan media, on the other hand, is pulled out of the cartridge shell, then led through a complicated system of guides and capstan rollers before being wrapped around a rotating head.’
Late Middle English: from Provençal cabestan, from cabestre halter, from Latin capistrum, from capere seize.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.