Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A synthetic crystalline compound which is an intermediate in nylon manufacture.
- ‘Now this meant that in one go you could start from the reactants and end up with caprolactam, which is the stepping stone to nylon - and that's the revolutionary part of it.’
- ‘If caprolactam is found on the backup section, it is added to the amount found on the front section.’
- ‘China on Friday imposed antidumping duties of up to 28% on caprolactam, a nylon fabric component, imported from Japan and four European countries.’
- ‘Most commercial production of caprolactam is via the cyclohexanone oximation and Beckmann rearrangement route.’
- ‘Our world class quality caprolactam is provided with a high level of service to build long-term valuable partnerships with our customers.’
1940s: from caproic acid + lactam.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.