Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting a salad of mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, and fresh basil.‘lunch featured a caprese salad and vegetable antipasto’
- ‘The Caprese bufala salad ($9.95) is a spiral of fresh tomatoes, arugula and buffalo mozzarella, accented by the ubiquitous extra virgin.’
- ‘The sweet, buttery buffalo mozzarella in the caprese salad is shipped from Italy and arrives at Grand Street less than a day old.’
- ‘My charming dinner companion had the Cherry Caprese salad - cherry tomatoes, bruscetta, basil and mozzarella.’
- ‘To the sounds of Pavarotti, we sampled the insalata caprese ($7) and a Caesar salad ($6).’
- ‘"The next step is to add a gene for mozzarella flavoring, and presto, you've engineered a caprese salad into a tomato."’
- ‘I packed a light dinner of caprese salad, crusty breads, fresh fruit, and cold roasted chicken.’
- ‘You couldn't find this five years ago, but now it seems every restaurant mixes in some form of Caprese dish.’
- ‘Traditional Caprese salad ($6) has sweet, fresh bocconcini cheese, perfectly ripe tomatoes and pungent fresh basil.’
- ‘The Caprese salad ($6) featured alternating slices of creamy mozzarella and thick tomato, sprinkled with basil and drizzled with olive oil.’
- ‘The panini are pretty good too, especially the one that manages to compress an entire insalata caprese into the space of a toasted sandwich.’
- ‘I ordered "Caprese bread" on the theory that it could not be made without fresh ingredients.’
- ‘Sweet roasted peppers formed the center of a Caprese salad ringed by generous slices of mozzarella, sweet basil and pale tomatoes.’
- ‘I made kind of a caprese salad with the local tomatoes and the basil, dressed them in Sicilian extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice.’
- ‘A better choice might be a caprese salad layered with tissue-thin slices of proscuitto de Parma.’
- ‘"It's a take-off on the caprese appetizer," he says.’
- ‘There are a few oddities, such as a Winter Caprese Salad (p.30), in which Mario uses plum tomatoes and fresh basil leaves.’
- ‘The Italian classic, insalata caprese, has super-ripe tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, and really good olive oil.’
- ‘She got ravioli, and I just got a caprese salad.’
- ‘I was debating whether or not this recipe should go into the book, as there's probably a Caprese salad in every Italian cookbook around.’
- ‘Even the tried-and-tired Caprese salad becomes an entirely new thing with slow-roasted tomatoes in place of raw.’
Italian, literally of Capri.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.