Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A more surprising, upsetting, or entertaining event or situation than all others that have gone before.‘the capper was him accusing her of ripping off his car’
- ‘The capper is that, like life, golf is a game ‘that can't be won, only played.’’
- ‘The capper was a Week 17 loss to Carolina, which doomed their playoff chances and led to a very long offseason.’
- ‘The capper came in 1998, when Weill merged Travelers into Citicorp, the nation's largest bank holding company, and became co-CEO of the combined entity with John Reed.’
- ‘And here's the capper: Before this season, he was 4-13 in April and March.’
- ‘But the capper was that both my Mom and my Grandad had told me to my face not to throw rocks on the roof.’
- ‘This was the capper on a long list of misfortunes.’
- ‘Cobbler with Blue Bell ice cream sounds like a fitting capper.’
- ‘These are all respectable, and they lead on to a capper, which Spielberg produced and supposedly ghost-directed, the superb Poltergeist.’
- ‘This is, perhaps, the strongest episode of the collection and a perfect capper to the season.’
- ‘There must be something in us that wants finality, the dramatically satisfying capper to a star's life.’
- ‘This meeting will be the capper of a critical stretch for both teams and will be the second game between the two in six days.’
- ‘It's kind of the surreal capper of my whole surreal week.’
- ‘But the capper to the zaniness is a one-on-one fight between Flipper and the ringleader, which finds the dolphin zipping around while the guy lunges at him with a knife.’
- ‘I simply savored it and moved on - the perfect capper to the two nights of classic New York moments.’
- ‘He mixed us up a couple of his signature Bellinis from fresh peach juice and Prosecco - these cool and refreshing drinks were the perfect cappers for a warm and leisurely afternoon.’
- ‘When you play a show for a gang of strangers who end up digging your noise, the ultimate capper is cold beer with your bandmates followed by a big bold round of shots.’
- ‘We always planned this season finale to be a great capper to the season and the show in general.’
- ‘Nonetheless, it was a swell capper to the evening and a nice capper to my (hang on… one… two…) three days in New York.’
- ‘That little tidbit isn't revealed until the last line of the movie, and makes for the perfect capper.’
- ‘The choice of track sequence and final mix was left to others - hardly a definitive capper on Smith's impressive catalog.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.