One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the UK) a tax levied on the transfer of capital by gift or bequest (replaced in 1986 by inheritance tax)‘gifts to charities were exempted from capital transfer tax’
- ‘That involved a scheme to avoid capital transfer tax.’
- ‘On 5 April 1983 Mr Taylor wrote to Mr Hitch outlining possible solutions to the problems regarding development land tax, capital gains tax, capital transfer tax and income tax.’
- ‘The freehold was not treated as part of Mr Dean's estate for the purposes of capital transfer tax.’
- ‘That is so, your Honour, but with respect what your Honour postulates is a different kind of taxing regime which is a tax on the value of what you receive - some kind of capital transfer tax - that is not what this is.’
- ‘The official announcement of the proposed replacement of estate duty by capital transfer tax, with partially retrospective effect, had a chilling effect on tax planning at that time.’
- ‘In 1986 IHT as we know it replaced capital transfer tax, which had been set up by Labour Chancellor Dennis Healey in 1975.’
- ‘His first urgent measure, he has promised, will be to wipe away Italy's death duties and capital transfer tax.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.