Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in Australia, Nigeria, Pakistan, etc.) the territory containing the capital city of the country.
- ‘With more than 20 million votes counted in 21 of Nigeria's 36 states and the federal capital territory, Obasanjo had 66% of the votes compared with 27% for Muhammadu Buhari, a former ally.’
- ‘The country's administration is divided into the capital territory (the seat of government), the adjoining Kombo Saint Mary area, and the provinces.’
- ‘After the site was chosen for the capital territory in 1909, an international competition to plan the city was won by a Georgist, Walter Burley Griffin of Chicago, for whom Canberra's central lake is named.’
- ‘Teachers have now been fighting for 18 months to get the capital territory's Labor government to agree to their demand for pay equality.’
- ‘Each of the thirty-six states of the federation is represented equally in the Senate by three elected senators; the federal capital territory of Abuja has one elected senator.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.