One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sleeve extending only a short distance from the shoulder and tapering to nothing under the arm.
- ‘Wear it as a scooped cap sleeve or as a high/wide neck cap sleeve.’
- ‘Made of preshrunk heavyweight 6.5-oz. 100% ringspun cotton 1x1 rib, this style has bound-on self trim neck and sleeve hem, double-needle bottom hem, cap sleeves, fitted silhouette and side seams.’
- ‘That shows in the way he's made cardigans subtly interesting by lining them with a print that will relate to a skirt, or designing blouses with flattering, fluttery cap sleeves.’
- ‘Her dress was pale blue, knee-length, with cap sleeves.’
- ‘If not, go for cap sleeves or a long sleeve top that shows a little cleavage.’
- ‘Soft detailing such as asymmetric draped hemlines, delicate pleating and cap sleeves are in a variety of fabrics: soft organza, silken wools, rubber and foam.’
- ‘It's a fall wedding, so small cap sleeves would work best, or thick straps and possibly a sweater.’
- ‘Or take scissors to one - cropped top with cap sleeves and sweetheart neckline.’
- ‘The sleeves were small cap sleeves that looked like they just came out of the front and back and wrapped over her shoulders.’
- ‘‘A sleeve really gets in the way of the windmill movement, with a cap sleeve there's a lot more freedom to move,’ he concluded.’
- ‘Yet here she was, in lemon chiffon, one cap sleeve hanging askew off a farmers-tanned arm and her dyed pumps in hand.’
- ‘Twist the cap sleeves up for a goddess look, wrap the belt around your neck for a plunging halter neckline, or fold the whole thing down for a flowing, romantic skirt.’
- ‘Shoulders look strong yet feminine in cap sleeves, while the lengthening effects of a monochromatic look are undeniable.’
- ‘She took her bath, then dressed carefully in a little black dress with cap sleeves, a v-neck that showed a hint of her cleavage, and fell to just above her black silk stocking covered knees.’
- ‘This pure silk top gathers in the front and has split, cap sleeves.’
- ‘Wrap dresses are flattering for fuller figures, and cap sleeves are great if you're concerned about your arms.’
- ‘I was a modest late-teen; cap sleeves and a sweetheart neckline were its worst sins.’
- ‘Cut off the bottom seam, then trim sleeves at an angle to make cap sleeves.’
- ‘For day, he showed wool suits with short belted jackets and three-quarter length sleeves and silk dresses with cap sleeves.’
- ‘It was gorgeous; pale blue silk with an off-the-shoulder bodice and cap sleeves, the neckline was trimmed with ribbons of a darker blue.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.