Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A layer of hard impervious rock overlying and often sealing in a deposit of oil, gas, or coal.
- ‘These aspects include the escape of hydrocarbons from source rocks, leakage of cap rocks, and a variety of near-surface engineering problems.’
- ‘The parasequence is further distinguished by the occurrence of Beedeina bowiensis and B. cf. rockymontana in the carbonate cap rock.’
- ‘In some instances the alteration is so intense that all that remains of the host is a porous siliceous cap rock.’
- ‘The cap rock of some domes contains economic concentrations of sulfur that are extracted as a melt by the Frasch Process.’
- ‘The ejecta from Bonneville didn't get excavated from deep enough from beneath this volcanic cap rock.’
- ‘I'm seeing a mini-convergence line tendency over near the cap rock and extending northerly along it today.’
- ‘The ship first drilled in the Gulf of Mexico and in the process managed to prove one of the Doc's pet theories: that there were salt domes in the Gulf and that these were the cap rocks for oil reservoirs.’
- ‘The cap rock was drilled through and a massive expansion of gas at the bottom of the well caused a blow-out, throwing mud high into the air.’
- ‘In the same work cited above, Scott also noted the occurrence of Mexicaprina minuta and Kimbleia sp. in the upper Albian cap rock near Fort Stockton, Pecos County, Texas.’
- ‘Flint Ridge flint forms the cap rock of the Flint Ridge highlands because of its resistance to weathering.’
- ‘Both species occur in the uppermost cap rock layer of the Upper Albian Boracho Formation northeast of Ft. Stockton, Pecos County, Texas.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.