Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The sport of jumping into a fast-flowing mountain stream and allowing oneself to be carried downstream at high speed.‘canyoning is an extremely popular summer thrill in the Alps’
- ‘Volley-type sandshoes are by far the best shoes for canyoning.’
- ‘I've been four times, and while there have enjoyed canyoning, deep-sea fishing, snorkelling in the reefs, several helicopter flights and wandering around the top of live volcanoes.’
- ‘There are many things to do on the North Island, but we wanted to get to the south as quickly as possible. Our only major excursion in the North was a day's canyoning in the Piha Canyon just outside Auckland.’
- ‘As a result a number of teams were put through a three-day activity that used the disciplines of abseiling, canyoning and whitewater rafting.’
- ‘I was taking part in a race, the Mauritius Raid, four days of strenuous activity; mountain-biking, kayaking, canoeing, canyoning and rollerblading.’
- ‘Slithering, clambering, and clawing through bush - literally bushwhacking - is unique to Blue Mountain canyoning.’
- ‘A week of canyoning, canoeing, rafting, climbing and orienteering, with B&B accommodation by the beach at Stomio, costs £355 pp.’
- ‘Though I was going to save bungee jumping, canyoning and the rest of the wild stuff for when I wasn't playing at being an Edwardian vicar, I had decided that paragliding was a must.’
- ‘John informs us that the only place in India where canyoning takes place is Dandeli.’
- ‘At its most basic, canyoning is following a river along its course through a gulley.’
- ‘Then we decided to take the walking a touch further, and in keeping with the terrain, we settled on an activity called canyoning.’
- ‘Optional add-ons include horse-riding, canyoning, and whale-watching in the Straits of Gibraltar.’
- ‘Its Awesome Foursome weekend, based in the Austrian resort of Zell am See, in the Kitzbühler Alps, features white-water rafting, canyoning, mountain-biking and glacier-skiing.’
- ‘I've been climbing for three years and partaking in sort of sports like this for probably five, like abseiling and canyoning.’
- ‘If you enjoy a day at the swimming pool, splashing down the flumes, think of canyoning as the 100% natural equivalent.’
- ‘AS I stood on the edge of the cliff, contemplating stepping off into freezing black water, I wondered if I'd seriously lost the plot when I agreed to try canyoning.’
- ‘Yet even the rugged gorge walks and canyoning of the interior cater for the luxury traveller.’
- ‘For more active visitors there's canyoning and mountain guides for hire, and for the less active there are plenty of waterside restaurants where you drink a glass of wine and read, or even write, a book.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.