Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Relating to a cantor:‘cantorial singing’
- ‘Rose shows his roots in Bloch's ‘Hebrew Rhapsody,’ but he never distorts the music by imitating cantorial wailings, as some cellists have done in this work.’
- ‘Dybbuk may be the composer's toughest compositional nut to crack, a gnarled web of sound tightly woven from folk music, cantorial prayer, and serial techniques.’
- ‘Bloch found his inspiration for this work in Jewish life and finds his musical material in the form of cantorial chant and Yiddish folk song.’
- ‘Cut to a Broadway theater, where the blackfaced hero sings ‘Mammy’ in a style at once cantorial and operatic, at an energy level that is overpowering.’
- ‘Clearly inspired by the moving text, Still provides melismatic cantorial lines, the telling augmented second, notably on the Hebrew word for God, Adonay, and an orchestra aglow with color.’
- ‘Then check out trumpeter Frank London's Invocations, which tackles that most intense of Jewish music traditions, cantorial singing, through London's horn.’
- ‘It is a position where you train to become so, either by being apprenticed to a cantor as in the old days, or you can go to cantorial school for four or five years in America.’
- ‘As one of his cantorial duties, he had to provide music for funerals.’
- ‘Akerman recites this text against a background of the traditional cantorial melody for Kol Nidre, a prayer for Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement.’
- ‘The lines remind me of cantorial chant, but Hovhaness has probably made it all up, since it doesn't lie all that far away from his usual solo-against-strings melodies.’
- 1.1 Relating to or denoting the north side of the choir of a church, the side on which the cantor sits.The opposite of decanal
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.