One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounmass nounSE Asian
A type of popular music combining Cantonese lyrics and Western disco music.‘three live bands play jazz, pop and Cantopop’as modifier ‘Cantopop stars’
- ‘For anyone still wondering, Cantopop is a noun used to describe a South-East Asian form of pop music, while bupkis is an informal American noun meaning nothing at all in an exasperated sense, as in zilch.’
- ‘The No 2 station, RTHK 2, also plays Cantopop.’
- ‘And in July, Cantopop star Jacky Cheung started hosting a new Disney television programme, Magical World of Disneyland.’
- ‘Unfortunately Cantopop tunes do not appear to be included in the syllabus nor are stage antics such as playing the guitar behind the head, setting fire to guitars and smashing up amplifiers and drums.’
- ‘A Channel News Asia article describes her as a Cantopop diva but I knew her best as an actress from A Better Tomorrow III, Moon Warriors and the indescribable genius of Heroic Trio (let us overlook her role in Rumble in the Bronx).’
1990s: blend of Cantonese and pop.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.