One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bridge in which each span is constructed from cantilevers built out sideways from piers.
- ‘The main line extended from Port Moody to Cisco, 136 miles, where a steel cantilever bridge was being constructed over the Fraser River.’
- ‘Krogman also claims that when our prehuman ancestors were walking on all fours, the skeleton was arched like a cantilever bridge with the trunk and abdomen representing the load suspended from the half-circle weight-balanced arch.’
- ‘From Spit Bridge - a cantilever bridge which opens twice a day to let tall-masted yachts pass underneath - the walk passes through a stand of lush vegetation and mudflats where heron hunt for fish.’
- ‘A temporary wooden structure was built after the slip and later a concrete cantilever bridge.’
- ‘The steel cantilever bridge would lift off close to City Screen, York and land in the gardens on the opposite bank.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.