Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A hinged metal hook at the end of a long handle, used for gripping and rolling logs.→ cant dog
- ‘Once to the streamside, specialized tools like cant hooks, peaveys, or pikes were used to roll, push or pull logs into the water.’
- ‘Our old wooden handled cant hooks are hanging on the wall with the rest of the antiques.’
- ‘The ‘Peavey’ cant hook is a MUST-HAVE for handling logs.’
- ‘Our cant hooks are made from special hardened steel and feature 2’ or 4’ long hickory handles.’
- ‘In pre-pushbutton sawmill days, the cant hooks were used to roll the cant after a slab was cut off.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.