One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hinged metal hook at the end of a long handle, used for gripping and rolling logs.
- ‘Our cant hooks are made from special hardened steel and feature 2’ or 4’ long hickory handles.’
- ‘In pre-pushbutton sawmill days, the cant hooks were used to roll the cant after a slab was cut off.’
- ‘Once to the streamside, specialized tools like cant hooks, peaveys, or pikes were used to roll, push or pull logs into the water.’
- ‘The ‘Peavey’ cant hook is a MUST-HAVE for handling logs.’
- ‘Our old wooden handled cant hooks are hanging on the wall with the rest of the antiques.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.