One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for cant hook
- ‘We are well stocked with winches, log arches, wood splitters, wedges, cant dogs, and chainsaws.’
- ‘A cant dog is a pole about eight feet long, with a sharp metal spike and a hook on the working end.’
- ‘Extra boats carried spare cant dogs and other tools and a portable forge so the blacksmith could keep up with repairs.’
- ‘On the two-horse wagon sled lie a four-inch crosscut saw and a four-inch cant dog.’
- ‘The peavey was a modified version of the cant dog and was widely used in the annual log drives down Maine's rivers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.